Taking out AdWords ads wisely around Christmas / Retailers without a classic Christmas trade should reduce AdWords to their core product range
Hamburg, December 8th 2011 - Christmas trade is the top-selling time for many online shops. 19% of gift expenses are done online, especially in the last two weeks before Christmas. At that time the wooing of last minute shoppers begins because close to every fifth person shops last minute*. But it does not pay off for every shop. Ulrich Sommer, retail expert and COO of performance marketing agency eprofessional, explains which companies should turn their search engine ads low and who should raise their AdWords bids.
Last minute tips for retailers with Christmas trade:
- Raise your bids because by experience the conversion rate also rises. It is excruciatingly important now to keep an eye on the cost-exchange ratio. With big campaigns a sophisticated bid management is essential.
- Raise your daily budget so you don’t miss any conversion because your ad doesn’t get shown anymore.
- Pause insignificant keywords and use the freed budget for your most performant keywords.
- If you can’t compete with the discounter’s prices in certain segments, it’s better if you back out of the bidding before you lose. Where appropriate, step in again one week before Christmas, when users aren’t as price sensitive anymore. (see tip 6)
- Check if your landing pages have a visual and/or textual relation to Christmas
- Use the last minute shopping situation because the closer Christmas Day comes, the less people care about the price. Raise them shortly before Christmas or lower the discounts and instead emphasize fast and dependable deliver, also overnight.
- Make sure to advertise all trendy products that will be under Christmas trees this year. Check your keyword lists for this year’s gift-hits.
Retailers without an explicit Christmas business should check whether some of their products aren’t suitable as Christmas gifts after all (e.g. the cross trainer for new year’s resolutions) and boost them with corresponding texts and atmospheric landing pages. Otherwise AdWords campaigns should be shut down to a performance budget until Christmas.